Dr. Sarah Domoff led a workshop on “Addressing Problematic Media Use in Children” for counselors and social workers in Grand Rapids, Michigan on February 15, 2018. This opportunity was sponsored by the Western Michigan Counseling Association.
Page 3 of 6
Dr. Sarah Domoff will lead a workshop on “Addressing Social Media Use in Children: Best Practices for Clinicians in the Digital Age” at the Great Hall Banquet and Convention Center in Midland, Michigan on February 22, 2018.
– Understand how screen media and mobile device use impacts children’s social-emotional development.
– Distinguish between normative vs. problematic use of screen media during childhood & adolescence.
– Describe assessments and interventions for problematic use of screen media by children and adolescents.
Thank you to WCMU for the opportunity to be on “Ask the Child Psychologists” on January 18, 2018. So many great questions were sent in related to parenting and screen time. For more information about the broadcast, click here.
Dr. Sarah Domoff led a workshop on “Media Use and Adolescent Mental Health” for social workers in Grand Rapids, Michigan on January 10, 2018 for Forest View Hospital’s Breakfast and Learn Series.
Dr. Larissa Niec and Dr. Sarah Domoff will appear on WCMU’s Ask the Child Psychologists on Thursday, January 18, 7:30 PM – 8 PM EST.
Two Clinical Psychology professors, Dr. Larissa Niec and Dr. Sarah Domoff, will be answering questions about parenting and children’s screen time. Dr. Niec, a master-trainer in Parent Child Interaction Therapy will be featured with Dr. Domoff, who will be answering questions that parents, clinicians, and educators have about children’s media use and screen time.
For more information about the live broadcast, and to submit questions, click here.
We are very excited to welcome Katie as the newest research assistant in the Family Health Lab! Katie is a freshman at CMU majoring in psychology and minoring in nutrition. She is interested in learning more about eating disorders and will be primarily helping with our research about teenagers and their mobile device use. Welcome Katie!
Congrats to Dr. Domoff! The Family Health Lab has been approved for a grant from CMU’s Faculty Research and Creative Endeavors Committee (FRCE). This will help us conduct our research about adolescents and their mobile device use.
Senior Katelin Crane presented “Developing an Intervention to Promote Healthy Social Media Use in an Adolescent Inpatient Population” and junior Rachel Gerrie presented “Intervention for At-Risk Adolescents: Developing and Adhering to Healthy Social Media Practices” at the 2017 Honors Exhibition. They helped get the word out about our lab and were busy talking to interested students!
Dr. Domoff’s “Problematic Media Use Measure” is featured in multiple news sources!
- Consumer Affairs: Eight signs your child might be addicted to screen media
- New York Post: Here’s how to tell if your child has a screen addiction
- WCMU Public Radio: CMU research seeks to identify electronic screen addiction in kids
- Psychology Today: Does Your Child Have a Digital Addiction?
- MedicalResearch.com: New Tool Can Tell Whether Your Child Has a ‘Screen Addiction’
- Science Daily: Kids and screen time: Signs your child might be addicted
- University of Michigan: Kids and screen time: Signs your child might be addicted